Sunday, September 9, 2012

Old yet New

When I was growing up, I searched my parents’ closets and bauls for the perfect wardrobe. I am charmed by what people wore in the ’60s and ‘70s. These decades brought flared pants, pointed and big collar blouses, flowing bohemian garments, shiny and skin-tight disco outfits, maxi dresses and skirts, and psychedelic prints which are all very stylish up to now. 

I know I can’t resist a vintage dress—especially if it belongs to my mom. If I can’t find a way to wear it, I’ll probably use the fabric for my home decor, or simply keep it close by. I’m sure I will make use of it one day, some way.
Photo shot in UP Los Banos.
This skirt is one of the nicest pieces in my closet. I love it because it has an ethnic Philippine flavor.
Lydia Jaranilla-Querubin
That’s my mom back in 1974. And my skirt used to be part of the dress she is wearing. It won’t fit me as is because I am three inches shorter than her. I almost cried when my trusted modista wasn’t able to alter it properly.
Good thing we were able to salvage it as a skirt. I am a big fan of maxi skirts. They look dramatic yet are versatile enough for use in almost any occasion. I wore this ensemble at a wedding.
Photo by Icee Palomo
Throw on the proper top and mix the right accessories, and you can strut anywhere.  

Affordable black beaded necklace from bazaar

Gold bangles and watch

comfy nude mary jane shoes from gojane.com

Reviving your mom’s old clothes is practical. A brand-new maxi skirt can cost up to Php3,000 (USD71) nowadays, more or less. It depends on the brand. 

By the way, this outfit cost me Php2,849 (USD67).
(Dollar conversions based on US Dollar = Ph Peso Exchange Rate of USD1=Php42.54 dated Feb 8, 2012.)

Breakdown of costs: 
  • Headband - belt from another top
  • Bead Necklace - bought from a bazaar, Php250
  • Bangles - two sets; one bought from USA, Php350; another one from a bazaar, Php100
  • Watch - a gift (Seiko 5)
  • Chiffon Blouse - bought from The Ramp, Php799
  • Maxi Skirt - used to be mom's dress, alteration cost Php150
  • Mary Jane Shoes - bought online from www.GoJane.com, Php1,200   
 

Find out if your mom and dad still have their old clothes. If they do, then rummage through their stash. You might find something pretty and for keeps.

16 comments:

  1. UPLB! Are you an alumna here as well? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, AJ! UPLB it is. :) I am from Los Banos. Studied there up to high school. Then went to UP Diliman for college. So you are from UPLB, that is so neat. ;) Do you live in Laguna?

      Delete
  2. I love this skirt!!! Really! And I love the tee that you had choose for these outfit! Very good all accesories

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Elle. Appreciate your comment all the way from Italy. :)

      Delete
  3. your mum's dress look like our traditional Malay dress called baju kurung :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, Clare, I believe it is very "Asian". :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Practical and oh so chic and gorgeous pinay :) i loved that you included your mom's photo wearing this dress wayback 70s. Will share this post to my friends, am sure they'll love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Ice. I'll post it on your wall so I can properly thank and acknowledge my photographer- you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous outfit! LOVE the skirt and all the natural jewelry! Those shoes were the perfect pairing as well! So jealous of your weather. Would you like to follow each other?

    www.plentyforpennies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Baby Budget. Love your blog and your outfits too. Followed. :)

      Delete
  8. Hi there! I stumbled upon your blog and I'm glad I did as I'm trying to connect with others that I can relate with... Your wardrobe is so chic, boho and yes PracticaL! I love it! My husband says it's something I'd wear so I just had to share that with you!

    Anyways, great blog and I decided to follow you as well! Hope you'll do the same!

    XoXo,
    Jen

    cupofsimplici-tea.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jen, nice blog. Followed! :) I can't believe that you just started blogging. More power to you!

      Delete
    2. Hi Esay! I can't believe it either, however thank you for following as well! It's funny because back in 2005 when I took a Communications course in college, my main 5-10 minute presentation was about blogging! I'm not quite sure what took me so long to get on it, but better late than never right?! Hehe...

      Anyways, I'm not quite sure if you've read my latest post, but I've got something for you there! Please go ahead and check it out if you haven't done so yet...Hope you'll accept it! :)

      XoXo,
      Jen

      Delete
    3. You made my day, Jen! Thanks so much! You are so sweet! :)

      Delete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Titanium Body Armor | The Source of Armor
    Titanium Armor ford fusion titanium for sale is the source of a shield titanium wallet that gives titanium white dominus the players hypoallergenic titanium earrings access to a special bonus. · The most potent weapon in the entire titanium aftershokz

    ReplyDelete