Friday, July 20, 2012

Not so Aztec

Two weekends ago, my niece asked for my help in coming up with an Aztec inspired outfit since she had to attend a similarly themed debut party. 

Google defines Aztec as a member of the American Indian people dominant in Mexico before the Spanish conquest of the 16th century. Aztec prints then are patterns of distinct and bold colors; assorted shapes, including diamonds and triangles; and different ranges of thick and thin lines. 
I don't have an Aztec-ish apparel, so the outfit I came up with doesn't have the colors, shapes and lines I mentioned above. Instead, I threw in lots of statement-making accessories to make the outfit pass for the Aztec-themed party. 

In coming up with a theme-inspired outfit, there is a way around it and it doesn't have to always follow the theme from A to Z. Researching and knowing the basics about the prescribed motif shall be a very big help. In this case, since the Aztecs are American Indians and their photos online clearly show big and bulky accessories, I decided to stick to that. The paisley prints too that I chose are as busy as that with the Aztec prints. So you see, I was able to eliminate buying a new dress or top! 

Total outfit cost is Php1,260 (USD30)

Breakdown of costs:
  • Top - bought from a garage sale, Mango, Php220
  • Skirt - Bunny, Php350
  • Necklace - bought from bazaar, Php250
  • Big gold bangles - Robinsons Dept. Store, Php240 (Php80 each)
  • Bracelets on right upper arm - bought from bazaars, total of Php200
  • Bangle on left arm - gift from friend

No comments:

Post a Comment